Thyroid Hormone Synthesis | Oncohema Key
Although it has not been clinically attempted, anaplastic or medullary thyroid cancers lacking NIS expression can be treated with I-131 after NIS gene transfer to the tumors. Additionally, other tumor entities which do not express NIS can also be treated with the same strategy .
Thyroid Physiology | SpringerLink
Visualization of tumor cells expressing NIS with optical molecular imaging using I-124. Tumor xenografts of anaplastic thyroid cancer cells expressing NIS were well visualized on both microPET imaging (white arrows) and Cerenkov luminescence imaging (black arrows) after intravenous administration of I-124 .
Abstract: Key words: The worldwide incidence of congenital hypothyroidism (CH) is 1:3000 to 1:4000 live births(1). Inherited defects in hormone biosynthesis (dyshormonogenesis) are rare causes of CH and account for 10-15% children with hypothyroidism(2,3). Dyshormonogenesis results from a deficiency or absence of one or more of the enzymes involved in the thyroid hormone synthesis or secretion. The most common enzyme abnormality is absent or insufficient thyroid peroxidase (TPO) activity which results in the failure of oxidation of iodide into iodine. With this type of defect iodine will be trapped but not organified. We report 3 children (siblings) with CH with features of dyshormonogenesis. Case Reports 1 A 14-year-old male child was diagnosed as a case of CH at 6 months of life and started on thyroxine replacement therapy. Parents gave history of poor academic performance. his weight was 42 kg (10-25th centile) and height was 151cm (3-10th centile). There was Grade II firm goiter. There were no other clinical abnormalities. A 99m Tc-thyroid scan revealed homogenous tracer uptake in both the lobes of thyroid gland. Thyroid hormone profile revealed FT3- 4.8 pg/mL (normal 1.3-3.7 pg/mL). TSH was 0.08 uIU/mL (normal 0.3-6.5 uIU/mL). Thyroid hormone profile was carried out when patient had been on regular thyroxine. Ultrasonography scan (USS) of thyroid was normal. Radioactive-iodine uptake (RAIU) & Perchlorate discharge test (carried out after patient had been off thyroxin for 4 weeks) revealed more than 50% drop in values suggesting an organification defect. 2
Megalin in thyroid physiology and pathology
32. Mazzaferri EL, Kloos RT. Clinical review 128: Current approaches to primary therapy for papillary and follicular thyroid cancer. 2001;86:1447-63
[Peroxidase and human thyroid hormone synthesis ..
33. Seidlin SM, Marinelli LD, Oshry E. Radioactive iodine therapy; effect on functioning metastases of adenocarcinoma of the thyroid. 1946;132:838-47
the biosynthesis of thyroid hormone ..
30. Shim HK, Kim SG, Kim TS, Kim SK, Lee SJ. Total thyroidectomy in the mouse: the feasibility study in the non-thyroidal tumor model expressing human sodium/Iodide symporter gene. 2011;45:103-10
Chapter 2 Thyroid Hormone Synthesis and …
27. Wong KK, Zarzhevsky N, Cahill JM, Frey KA, Avram AM. Hybrid SPECT-CT and PET-CT imaging of differentiated thyroid carcinoma. 2009;82:860-76
Chapter 2 Thyroid Hormone Synthesis And ..
21. Lindencrona U, Forssell-Aronsson E, Nilsson M. Transport of free 211At and 125I- in thyroid epithelial cells: effects of anion channel blocker 4,4'-diisothiocyanostilbene-2,2'-disulfonic acid on apical efflux and cellular retention. 2007;34:523-30
Biochemistry of Thyroid Hormones Flashcards | …
17. Jeong SY, Hwang MH, Kim JE, Kang S, Park JC, Yoo J. . Combined Cerenkov luminescence and nuclear imaging of radioiodine in the thyroid gland and thyroid cancer cells expressing sodium iodide symporter: initial feasibility study. 2011;58:575-83